Sunday, October 11, 2026

Slovakia: Day 16 - November 1989, Slavin monument, local wine, Rubia Gallega

Here is a summary of what is spent on Day 16.

13/8 Day 16: Bad experience for breakfast - paid 10% tips without being informed. Went to November 1989 and Slavin monument. Tasted local wine.

Food
(1) Breakfast at Kafe Mayer - Cappucino EUR6,30, omelette with sheep's cheese, spinach and sundried tomatoes EUR11,50, hidden 10% tips in the bill EUR5,82 (shared between the 3 of us)
(2) Radler at Loft Hotel - EUR4,50
(3) Lunch at Slovak University of Technology - spinach soup EUR1,50, gratin cabbage and pasta with salad EUR7,90, kofola 300ml EUR1,50
(4) Radler 500ml at Shenk - EUR3,30
(5) Viecha - local wine 100ml EUR3,45
(6) Dinner at D.Steakhouse - shared Rubia Gallega 900g EUR14,80 per 100g = EUR133,20, green peppercorn sauce EUR6, grilled pimientos EUR8, fries EUR6, ice tea 250ml EUR3,50. Per person EUR54,57. 
(7) Gelato at Luculus - 2 scoop Mascaporne and passion fruit, and raspberry with hazelnut EUR5.

The Story
13082026: We tried a different cafe for breakfast today. We made a bad decision to choose Kafe Meyer. We know that it is pricey as it is located in the middle of Old Town. But I did not expect that the cafe to add 10% tips into our bill without informing us. Gosh, I was so angry! I found out after paying the bill to check the breakdown. The waiter did not give us the bill and handed me the payment terminal to swipe my card. Now, I know better to ask for the bill the next time. Damnit. Paying EUR6,30 for the cappucino was daylight robbery and I have not paid so much in Sweden before. I left a review in Google and I was not the only one who fell for this. Another guest even requested for the tips to be removed prior payment and got denied. What a dirty work! I was very pissed off the whole day. Yeah, I know it is a waste of my energy.


As you can see, the food came quite late as my travel companions finished their coffee before the food came.


Then, we went to the train station to buy our train tickets to Vienna as we are flying back to Stockholm from Vienna. Along the way, we stopped by at November 1989. This is a monument erected to remember the peaceful protest that led to the end of the communist in Slovakia. Explanation from Wikipedia.

The Velvet Revolution was a non-violent transition of power in what was then Czechoslovakia, occurring from 17 November to 28 November 1989. Popular demonstrations against the one-party government of the Communist Party of Czechoslovakia included students and older dissidents. The result was the end of 41 years of one-party rule in Czechoslovakia, and the subsequent dismantling of the command economy and conversion to a parliamentary republic.



The monument is next to the giant fountain where one could cool themselves down. I saw this on the first day we arrived here and was tempted to jump into the waters. Now, I get to do that.



We continued to Slavin Monument which was erected to honour the Red Army that saved Slovakia from Nazi. Walked through a housing area to get to the top of a hill. 



Explanation of the monument.



The towns' names are engraved on the monument and the date the towns were liberated from the Nazis. I recognised Kosice and L. Mikulas.




The mass graves of the fallen soldiers.



The star resembles the Red Army. The statue is an 11-to-12.5-meter victorious soldier holding a flag and crushing a swastika.




We made our way downhill back into town.


We stopped to have a drink at the bar at Loft Hotel. Very much needed drink and shelter from the heat.


Our travel companion wanted to have today's lunch where it is supposedly cheaper with more offer. He had that in Portugal where the today's lunch include wine, salad and a warm dish. So, we found one at Slovak University of Technology. I thought that we would not be able to go in as we are not students but we were very much welcomed there. It was very hot in the canteen. No fan and there are no opened windows. The entrance door was opened but makes no difference. It was a difficult experience to eat lunch as the food was piping hot.



I thought soup was included as how I usually have in Malaysia (economy rice and to choose any dishes) but not here. If I knew soup had a price, I would not have taken it. Salad is included. A vegetarian dish costs EUR7,90. I was very full from this meal. Well, kofola is cheap here. I should have taken water instead. I would appreciate this meal better during winter. I was not very hungry when I had my lunch. Mostly due to the heat. I think it is not the kind of today's lunch that my travel companion had in mind. Well, it is cheaper, I can agree on that. 


After lunch, we cooled ourselves with more drinks. We went to Shenk and I had a 500ml radler for EUR3,30. I even got more than 500ml. That was really nice of the bartender.




Then, we went back to our accommodation to get an afternoon's rest. We came back out in the evening about 6pm to try the local wine. Slovakia has a lot of local wine which is said to be delicious. I don't drink wine often but I tried it anyway. I could not taste any difference. We went to Viecha that has many kinds of wine and there were many customers here. Wine is cheaper here than in Sweden. 






Then, dinner at D.Steakhouse. Last night at Bratislava so my travel companions are of the opinion that we should have steak or good meat. The restaurant is fancy. We shared a 900g Rubia Gallega (dry aged for 30 days) that is a Spanish breed of cattle native to Galicia in north-western Spain. This breed is raised mainly for meat. It was really delicious with the sea salt sprinkled on it. We shared two sides - pimientos and fries. I thought the meat will be too much for the 3 of us but it is sufficient. 






EUR54,57 per person including my drink. I think the source of the meat determines the price. It seems expensive. Wow. I just googled on Rubia Gallega and this is an expensive breed - it has limited supply. The cow is breed until 8 to 15 years old to develop muscle to reach a deep, complex flavor profile. Then, there is the drying process too in a controlled temperature so the muscle shrinks due to dehydration and the meat has a concentrated nutty taste. This breed has even won gold, silver and bronze in World Steak Championships. Very impressive breed. Okay, now I am thankful that I travel with my companions that 'forces' me to have good food. 

I agreed with the description. There is a clear nutty taste to the meat. Delicious.


Finally, the best gelato in town. Back in Luculus again and this time, I took two scoops. It is so difficult to choose between all their flavours. Regardless, I am happy with mine. We sat on a bench and watched passerbys while enjoying our gelato. 

No comments: