Wednesday, September 16, 2026

Slovakia: Day 9 - Rest day, short walks around Hotel Sliezsky Dom

Here is a summary of what is spent on Day 9.

6/8 Day 9: Rest day. Walk around the area at Hotel Sliezsky Dom (1670m).

Food
(1) Lunch at Tourist restaurant - Lentil soup EUR5,50, Radler 500ml EUR4, isotonic water 700ml EUR3,70
(2) Dinner at Tourist restaurant - Roasted chicken skewers with rice EUR13,90, radler 400ml EUR4

The Story
06082026: Today is rest day! No hiking. After 4 days of hiking, our legs deserved a rest. Unfortunately, I did not check the weather forecast because the next day rained heavily and the hike was cut short. So, we should have hiked today and rested tomorrow. Lesson learnt.

Breakfast first which is included in the price. After 3 days of no coffee, I was happy to see a coffee machine. I am so used to drinking coffee everyday for the past 7 years so I am happy that I did not crave coffee for the past 3 days. I drank a lot of juice and the dull headache that I had for the past 2 days disappeared immediately. I was dehydrated. 



Many varieties of teabags which I did not try. No special taste.


Cold food - small yoghurt cups, cheese, butter, milk, ham, and salami.


Waffles! Long time since I had them so of course, I took them.


What is a breakfast buffet without its usual egg and sausages.


Roasted bread definitely.




After breakfast, we went to the Tourist restaurant which is around the corner, just behind the hotel. Not much cheaper or more to choose but we have options. They call it Tourist Buffet but there is no buffet. Just some meals (fried sausages, french fries, potato dumplings, deep fried cheese) and soup to choose from. We ate lunch and dinner here. I thought it was cheaper then but I realised that my today's dinner's price for roasted chicken skewers is the same as yesterday's dinner pork chop. 




Looks like the jeep is ready to drive down to town to recycle cans.



Tools and air pump for a normal and an electric bicycle. I saw more electric bicycles than the normal ones. 


We took a walk around the lake and found a spot to sit, to enjoy the sun and dip our legs in the water.










Lunch time - had lunch at the Tourist Restaurant. There were many others here - cyclists and hikers. I took lentil soup that came with bread. Not very filing but I did not do much today. So, it will make do. 


We sat outside since it was sunny.


Bought isotonic water too so that we have something to drink in the afternoon. We took a short hike. A very short hike, I emphasised to my travel companions as my legs dreaded the sight of rocks.


Short hike means we can still see the view of the hotel.



Some giant blueberries along the trail.




We went back to the hotel for our booked spa at 4pm. It is free so we had to utilise it. Jacuzzi, steam and dry sauna, and cold water from a high bucket. Refreshing. The hotel has a world map on the wall and visitors can pin their home country. Not many from Malaysia though. None from Brunei. Mostly from Slovakia, the locals. 



Dinner time. We attempted to sit outside but it started to rain. So, we went indoors. 


The food was between warm and cold, and it quickly got cold when we were outdoors. 



The hotel put up the weather forecast at the reception. That is where I saw that it will rain heavily tomorrow (Friday, 7 August). Look at the blue bars to show the amount of rain. Yup, we got caught in the rain the next day.

No comments: