Tuesday, September 8, 2026

Slovakia: Day 7 - Day hike to Teryho chata (2015m)

Here is a summary of what is spent on Day 7.

4/8 Day 7: Day hike to Teryho chata (2015m). Left at 8.40am and came back at 2.50pm.

Food
(1) Drink at Teryho chata - Kofola 500ml EUR5
(2) Dessert at Zamko chata - Steamed sweet dumpling filled with jam and topped with whipped cream, chocolate and cocoa powder EUR13,50. Local name - Parene buchty.

The Story
04082026: Today's breakfast is different from yesterday's. An egg, a salami, ham, slices of bell pepper, and a tomato. There is yogurt again. I took a photo today with my giant mug of tea. I love the tea. I read that this is a special mix of herbs by the mountain hut. So, it cannot be bought outside. However, we bought a packet of mixed tea leaves and herbs that closely resembles this tea. Anyway, due to the size of the giant cup, one has the need to pee after drinking this. Unfortunately, it is during the middle of the hike that we needed to find a spot to pee. 



We hike another trail today - this time towards Teryho chata. The trail is relatively better than yesterday but there are boulders and rocks as part of the trail. Some parts were unstable for me and my boyfriend helped me to get across some boulders. Luckily, it did not rain otherwise it would be slippery for me. It took me 2.5 hours to get to Teryho chata compared to the sign that states 1 hour 45 minutes. I wonder if the time took into account resting time. Or maybe the locals are just awesome in hiking. 



At the beginning of the trail, we saw the water treatment for Zamko chata. The water comes from the glacier.






Here, the trail starts to go on rocks and boulders. 






I give way most of the times to hikers behind me because they are so fast and I don't want to be in the way. Plus, I like to stop and take in the scenery. Sunny, clear clouds, and cooling. 



Sometimes, I have scary thoughts that I will stumble on a rock, roll down and not survive it as there are no trees. Only sharp edges.


I had a picture in my head that this would turn out to be a nice photo but it did not. Well, the backlight from the sun did not help much.


One of the three porters that we saw along the way. They reached Teryho chata a few minutes after us. 



I was so happy to finally see the mountain hut after a long uphill hike.  


Mountains on the top and valleys at the bottom. 



A small pool before the mountain hut. 


Just a few steps before the mountain hut. I was taking in the view around me. No hurry as I was very near the mountain hut. It was windy and warm at the same time. The perfect weather!


It was 11am when we arrived and the view was amazing from the top. 


At the mountain hut, I had my kofola drink. The mountain hut is quite small and I saw a bedroom. There are bunk beds and it is quite tight in the room with 6 bunk beds. 


When we arrived, the queue is short. By lunch time, a very long queue has built up that continued until the entrance.


We saw mountain goats too. So excited to see them!


After having our drinks, we left the hut and found a spot on a grass patch to lie down and take in the warmth. It was warm on the ground. I would have liked to lie down longer but we needed to get back to Zamko for a late lunch. We wanted to have lunch in Teryho but there was a very long queue as many hikers have arrived. 





I found Teryho chata on the map.



Back at Zamko chata now. We decided to have our soup and bread earlier instead of having it for dinner. I asked the staff if this could be done and she gave her approval. So, we saved money for lunch! Yay! Except that my boyfriend wanted to have dessert. He saw a kid eating this dessert and he was eager to try. So, we shared it.

I chose cabbage soup. It came with sausages.



Steamed sweet dumpling filled with jam and drizzled with chocolate! It reminded me of a doughnut because of the sweet fillings. It was really delicious. I enjoyed them a lot. Ingredients include flour, milk, eggs, butter, sugar, and yeast. That explains the sweetness - from the sugar. I don't feel guilty eating it as I hiked. 



Dinner is the same as yesterday - pork schnitzel with salad. I did not want the french fries.

No comments: