1/8 Day 4: Train from Kosice (12.09pm) to Poprad (1.35pm).
Costs
(1) 1 tram ticket EUR1,20 (30 minutes duration) each - EUR1,20
(2) Train ticket from Kosice to Poprad EUR7,50 including booked seat that costs EUR1
(3) Sunblock SPF50 200ml from Lidl (train station Kosice) EUR14,99
Costs
(1) 1 tram ticket EUR1,20 (30 minutes duration) each - EUR1,20
(2) Train ticket from Kosice to Poprad EUR7,50 including booked seat that costs EUR1
(3) Sunblock SPF50 200ml from Lidl (train station Kosice) EUR14,99
(4) 3 bananas, 3 peaches from Kaufland, Poprad EUR0,91
Accommodation
Food
(1) Breakfast at Gesto cafe - Omelette with spring onion, cheese and ham EUR4,90, cappucino EUR2,50
(2) Ice-cream at Gesto cafe - one scoop mango EUR1,50
Accommodation
(1) 1 room in Pension Jakub (from Booking) - Shared room EUR117,50 for 3 persons, EUR39,17 per person. Tourist tax EUR2,50 per person. Not recommended place of stay during summer. Had to open the windows to let in the relatively colder air but it was noisy from the traffic.
(1) Breakfast at Gesto cafe - Omelette with spring onion, cheese and ham EUR4,90, cappucino EUR2,50
(2) Ice-cream at Gesto cafe - one scoop mango EUR1,50
(3) Drink at Stacniny Pivovar bar at Kosice train station - Kofola 500ml EUR2,50
(4) Lunch at U Septima, Poprad - Tagliatelle with mushroom and bacon EUR11,30, lemonade 500ml EUR1
(4) Lunch at U Septima, Poprad - Tagliatelle with mushroom and bacon EUR11,30, lemonade 500ml EUR1
(5) Dinner at Pension Jakub, Poprad - Kofola 500ml EUR3, sizzling entrecote with grilled vegetables and potatoes EUR22, orange juice 250ml EUR2,30
The Story
01082026: Today, we check out from our accommodation in Kosice. We had breakfast at Gesto Cafe. Walked for 30 minutes at 9am and it was already hot. 37 degrees as stated on an eletronic screen in front of a pharmacy. Phew. I thought to myself that I am not walking to the train station in this heat. I felt light-headed on the way to the cafe and thankfully, we were very near the cafe when I felt this. I chose to sit inside while my travel companions contemplated to sit outside under a shade. So, we all sat inside in the end.
My breakfast - omelette and cappucino.
Gesto cafe has also another business selling ice-cream and pastry next door. I just had breakfast but I needed the ice-cream to cool me down. So, one scoop of mango gelato for me.
We walked to the tram station Hlavna Posta to take the tram to the train station Stancne Namestie. It takes 27 minutes to walk to the train station. I would have done the walk if it was 30 degrees. But it was 37 degrees!
Reached the train station! We went to the customer service and bought our train ticket at 12.07pm from Kosice to Poprad Tatry. It will arrive at Poprad at 1.29pm. We booked a seat EUR1 just to be safe. The trains depart hourly. We were 5 minutes away from the next train departure but we did not want to hurry in case we missed the train so we took the next hour.
While waiting for 12.07pm, we went to the bar at the highest floor of the train station and had a drink. I had my kofola and my travel companions had their beer. We sat by the window and could see the view of the trams rolling in and out.
Got on the 12.07pm train that departed 2 minutes later. Thankfully, we booked seats because there were many passengers on the train when we alighted it and our booked seats happened to be occupied and the passengers who sat there immediately got up when we informed that the seats were booked. Many passengers who did not book their seats caused a queue in the alley of the train as they had to leave their spaces when they were being told and those with booked seats had to wait. Quite annoyed with these passengers who don't book their seats. They should just wait for everyone who has booked seats to get their places.
We walked to Pension Jakub. It is very near. About 10 minutes walk from the train station. I purposely chose a place near the train station so we don't have to walk far with our backpack as we will take the train to Tatra mountains the next day.
Pension Jakub looks closed. Check-in time is 2pm. We saw a woman sitting on the outdoor sofa taking a smoke. She informed us that the place is closed and opens at 5pm. I told her that we have a booked room and check-in is at 2pm. She rang up the person who worked there who informed us that she will be there at 5pm and we can get our keys then but we can put our bags in the room. The staff is friendly but I did not like that we were not informed at all about this check-in time at 5pm for Saturdays because the staff worked hard during the week and comes in later on weekend. What if the person sitting on the sofa was not there? We would not have any answers and had to make unnecessary calls. I guess that is how small town is. Not bothered about the checked-in guests since we are just tourists.
We left our bags in the room and went to look for lunch. Found a place with lovely murals. I found it hot to eat outside despite the shade but my travel companions thought there was a small breeze. Yeah, a breeze... and yet, we are all sweating sitting outside.
I had lemonade and tagliatelle. I don't have much appetite to eat due to the heat. I was looking for a light meal that is cheap but nothing is cheap here.
We walked in to several small grocery stores and a big one called Kaufland to get the air-conditioning. Saw a shelf filled with Kofola.
Finally, 5pm. We waited at the outdoor sofa. The staff arrived and let us in. She explained the whole 'work hard the whole week and need to rest and come in late the next day'. It was then that we noticed that the room has no air-condition or fan. We asked for a fan and got a no. It was really hot, even at night too. We checked the weather forecast and the night temperature can fall to 20 degrees but we did not feel that. Opening the windows did not help either. Worsened the night with traffic from outside. So, no sleep at all. Hot and noisy.
Menu from Pension Jakub. No English version so we used Google Translate.
My sizzling plate of entrecote and grilled vegetables. Potatoes were quite a lot. Good meat. Hindsight, I should have taken salad because it was a hot meal.
























No comments:
Post a Comment